History

The Library is a center for lifelong learning and collects, preserves, and provides free access to information and library materials for all citizens of Shasta County through a library headquartered in Redding and with branches in Burney and Anderson.

1908
ROOTS OF THE LIBRARY

  ShastaCountyCarnegie.png

The first library in Shasta County was a municipal library built in 1908 in Library Park with a grant from the Carnegie Foundation.

1940s
COUNTY-WIDE SYSTEM FORMED

  ShastaCounty.png

The Carnegie Library became part of a county library system that formed in the late 1940s of the county library system formed in the late 1940s. The system thrived for several decades – culminating in a main library and 23 branches and stations.

1987-1988
LIBRARY SYSTEM FIRST IN COUNTRY TO CLOSE

 

The passage of Proposition 13 negatively impacted funding for the library and ultimately resulted in its closure in 1987. The County reopened three libraries – in Redding, Burney and Anderson – in 1988 with funding assistance from the Cities of Redding and Anderson and later, the Friends of the Library. 

1991
SHASTA LIBRARY FOUNDATION FORMED TO IMPROVE LIBRARY SERVICES

 

The Shasta Library Foundation was established in 1991 in response to a continuing weak financial base with the purpose of providing funding stability and enhancing the services and resources of the library through the creation of a permanent endowment.

In the mid-1990s, the Shasta Library Foundation received a bequest from the Elizabeth G. Hyatt Trust that funded a restricted Book Fund and the assets of the Redding Women’s Club provided the beginning of the General Endowment Fund.

The Shasta Library Foundation board members spent most of the 1990s participating in numerous committees, task forces, and commissions looking for ways to improve library services and facilities.

2000
FUNDING FOR LIBRARY CONSTRUCTION

 

newlibrarynow.jpgThe passage in 2000 of the Library Construction and Renovation Bond Act provided an unprecedented opportunity for citizens in Shasta County to build a new library. The Shasta Library Foundation’s board members worked collaboratively with New Library Now! to raise the local funds needed to obtain the state grant.

2005
LIBRARY GOVERNANCE CHANGED

 

With the new building under construction, concerns again surfaced about keeping the Library open. Under the leadership of the Shasta Library Foundation, a final task force addressed the significant ongoing operational, financal, and governance issues challenging the Library.

The Task Force recommended a joint city/county library system with the City of Redding owning the Redding Library headquarters, the County retaining ownership of the branches and contracting with the City to operate the system. The City has also contracted with a private company called Library Systems and Services (LS&S) to manage the library system.

Library Governance and Financing Task Force Report from April 21, 2005.

DOWNLOAD TASK FORCE REPORT

2007
NEW REDDING LIBRARY OPENS

  A05473_001A.jpg

The new Redding Library opened in March 2007 with a huge community celebration, including a passing of the books from the old library to the new library.

TODAY

 

The Shasta Library Foundation continues to play a leadership role with a permanent representative on the five member citizen Library Advisory Committee advising the Redding City Council which serves as the Library Board.

MORE ABOUT WHAT WE DO